Thursday, April 18, 2013

Running Records

 
 
 
First Running Record
I had my struggling reader preform a hot read for this running record. The text level is 5th grade and it was from the book, Remember My Name by Sarah H Banks. She did very well only making one error and one self-correction at a different time. This amounted to an error rate of 1:100 an accuracy rate of 99% and a self-correction rate of 1:2. She also comprehended very well giving me a summary of that suited the text amount at 100 words. This level of reading I’m thinking is too easy for this student. However, because this is a hot read that is somewhat expected. For the one error she made the word was filtered but the student said fluttered, she was using the structural and visual cueing system while neglecting meaning. The word that she substituted did not hinder meaning but she still needs to connect the letter she sees to the sounds she produces.

 
Second Running Record: 6th Grade Form A
 
The text exert I provided my student with contained 310 words. The student had 4 errors but self-corrected often. This resulted in an error rate of 1:77 an accuracy rate of 99% and a self-correction rate of 1:3. This text is a good starting point for her, I believe it is somewhat challenging but in a good way that would encourage the reader to use the tools we have discussed and worked on through our meetings to help her comprehened the text she reads. My student had trouble comprehended the text even thought she did a nice job reading it. Again the student only used the visual cueing system that resulted in an error. She is still not checking for meaning while reading.  


No comments:

Post a Comment