Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Meeting Two

 


This afternoon’s lesson with my struggling reader went smoothly. She was enthusiastic and anxious to get started. We started of the lesson by discussing her knowledge/experience with word sorts.
She had experience with word sorts in the past so we did not need to spend a good amount of time discussing the details. She quickly got to work. The student did well on this activity. I’m curious to how she would have performed if I would have also given her some words that contained short vowel sounds.  
Once she had completed the word sort, together we discussed vowels and how vowels have different sounds. After we had a rich conversation over this topic I introduced the Show Me game. I explained how the game worked and I demonstrated the process. I found this game to be rather challenging for her. I could tell she was becoming frustrated.  I told her she was doing an excellent job, I then asked her if she was ready to move on. She decided she wanted to move forward in the lesson.
To end the lesson I had her write 1 thing she learned. Instead of having her write 3 words that contain long vowel sounds I had her write 1. She informed me that she enjoyed both activities even though the spelling game was challenging for her. The next time we meet, we are going to pick out a book and start reading. I’m excited to apply strategies I have learned to help her better comprehend what she is reading.
 
GV Daily Lesson Plan
Student Name: Alisha Sinclair                               Course Title; Semester: EDUC 324, SP2013    
 
Title of Lesson: Word Sort & Spelling             Total Lesson Time: 25 minutes                      
Grade(s): 5th                                                    Subject Area: Reading and word study           
 
This lesson is part of a unit over working with a struggling reader____________________________
 
Curriculum Standard(s):
 Iowa Core/District/ National
Phonics and Word Recognition
 •RF.5.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. ◦Use combined knowledge of all letter-sound correspondences, syllabication patterns, and morphology (e.g., roots and affixes) to read accurately unfamiliar multisyllabic words in context and out of context.
 
 
Learning Objectives and How Assessed:
Learning Objective(s)
Assessment Plan
Student will be able to:
1. Accurately decode long vowel sounds.
 
2. Accurately spell words with long vowels.  
 
1. Student will perform a long/short vowel word sort.
 
2. Student will play Show Me. They will also write down three words that contain long vowels.
 
 
Content Outline of the Lesson:                                   Materials Needed:
What is the subject content or skill you will be teaching?
 Spelling
Show Me Game
Long Vowel Word Sort
Paper
 
Lesson Procedures:
Time
Differentiation (Adaptations for Diverse Learners, ELL, Gifted)
1. Activate Prior Knowledge/Introduction
We will begin the session by working on a
long/short vowel word sort. I will begin by asking
the student if she has ever worked with a word
sort before. If she has we will be able to begin
immediately. If she has had little or no experience
with a word sort I will take a moment to
demonstrate and explain how it works.
 
2.Explicit/Direct Instruction
Once we finish the word sort we will discuss
vowels. I will ask her if she knows how many
letters in our alphabet are vowels. We will discuss
that five of the twenty-six alphabet letters are
vowels: A,E,I,O, and U. The letter Y is sometimes considered a sixths vowel because it can sound like other vowels. This will lead our discussion into the direction that unlike consonants, each of the vowel letters has more than one type of sound or can even be silent with no sound at all. I will inform her we will be focusing on long vowels. Together we will discuss long vowels.
·          Long vowels make the same sounds in a word as they do when pronounced alone. Each vowel has a few unique rules, but generally, they all make a long sound when they are the last letter of a word. I will give a few examples and as for her to provide a few examples (examples: she, go; exceptions: to, bite).  If a word has two vowels next to each other, the first vowel usually is pronounced long. I will again give an example and have her provide one (examples: sail, bean, soap, juice).
 
3. Guided Practice
I will introduce Show Me. Show Me is a long
vowel game. The student will get a pocket and an
assortment of letter cards to lay out on the desk. I
will call a word such as go. The student will insert
the correct letters to spell the word and then close
up their pocket. When “show me” is announced
the student will open her pocket.  The focus of
this game is to encourage practice. I will
participate for a few rounds. Until I feel my
student understands the game.
 
4. Independent Practice
I will provide words to the student and she will
spell the words independently.
 
5.Closure
The student will write down one thing she
learned. I will also have her write down
three words that have a long vowel. We will also
discuss what she liked about our meeting and if
there is anything she would like to do differently.
 
 
5
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
5-7
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2-3
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
5-7
 
 
 
2-3
 
 
 
 
 
References/Work Cited:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8635683_long-vowel-activities.html
http://www.abcfastphonics.com/long-short-vowels.html
 
Reflection on Student Learning:
I think the lesson went well. I decided to do a word sort and a spelling game. These two activities really engaged my student and provided her a hands-on opportunity working with words that contain long vowels. Even though the student enjoyed the two activities she did struggle with the spelling game. If I were to do this lesson again I would only incorporate one activity into the lesson. Next time, I will focus on reading a book that the student and I will pick out together.    
 



Word Sort
 

No comments:

Post a Comment